Multi-use bike pack.
One of our long-established customers turned to Crusader Packaging to help in the design of a singular pack that would enable them to send varying shapes and sizes of bikes around the world without the need to add any additional packaging materials for protection or void fill.
The increase in the popularity of cycling coupled with improved technology resulted in our customer needing to ship a greater variety of bike sizes and weights. Their current packs could not handle this without packing staff using additional packaging materials to accommodate these issues.
The packaging review identified
- Varying types of packaging materials used to add protection and fill out void areas
- Impossible to know the true cost of the pack
- Time wasted trying to adapt packaging to fit the pack requirement
- A poor reflection on our customer from the end user in terms of pack presentation
The packaging solution
Meeting with the customer we spent time in the packing department to obtain first-hand experience of how the bikes were being packed and to understand the varying bike sizes, shapes and materials.
It quickly became clear that we needed to come up with a universal pack that would be able to cater for all needs. The challenge was to design internal fitments that could be adjusted quickly and easily to cater for all needs.
- Crusader Packaging created two universal packaging inserts
— One to hold each wheel regardless of bike size or type
— One to hold the front forks accommodating all bike sizes
- Only one sized outer carton is required for all bikes
- Removed the need to add additional packaging resulting in a consistent pack price
- Increased packaging efficiency
- Pack presentation is vastly improved